I love dipping foods. Whether it’s apples in SoyNut Butter or carrots in hummus I’m a dipper. One of my tips to get kids to eat healthier is to provide a dip.
These Chickpea Nuggets are so good you won’t even need a dip but I’m partial to my Barbecue Sauce.
You may be thinking, we are plant-based or we have food allergies, we aren’t going near mystery nuggets. Let me stop you right there and share that these nuggets are healthy, allergy-friendly and my family and friends LOVED them. I should probably also mention that they were easy to made.
I have to give the credit to the Southern Homestyle Corn Crumbs for making this recipe work. They are just like regular corn crumbs but gluten-free. They provide the much needed crunch these Chickpea Nuggets need.
They are also manufactured in a facility free of wheat/gluten, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, dairy, egg, sunflower, fish or shellfish.
I’ve created other nuggets but couldn’t win the whole family over until I used the Corn Crumbs.
These allergy-friendly Chickpea Nuggets are perfect for vegans or people with food allergies. Enjoy them with your favorite dipping sauce.
- 1 15.5 oz. can chickpeas, drained
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp granulated onion
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp corn crumbs
- ⅓ cup corn crumbs for coating
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour the drained chickpeas into a food processor and process for a few seconds.
- Then add all of the other ingredients except the last ⅓ cup corn crumbs for coating. Process a few more seconds. Everything will be well mixed and chunky texture.
- Scoop up teaspoon sized globs and roll them into balls then smash them into nugget shape.
- Pour corn crumbs into a bowl and coat each nugget with the corn crumbs.
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Lay each nugget on the parchment but don't let them touch.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then flip and bake for 10 more.
- Allow nuggets to cool before eating.
This recipe makes about 20 nuggets. The four of us ate them in one sitting. Imagine a meal where everyone from the kids to the husband is happy eating the same thing.
NOTE: I’ve had a few people who made these and they were crumbly. I’m adding the following photos to help you see what I do step by step. Hopefully it will help you come up with perfect nuggets. These photos aren’t the best but I hope they will help.