Everyone deserves to bite into a thick juicy burger.
One that is packed with flavor, holds up to a bun, is moist, and can handle all the toppings your barbecue self can handle.
You know what it’s like to survive on a plate of potato salad and burger toppings when backyard barbecue season comes around. Because, well, burgers. And I have nothing against a good potato salad, don’t get me wrong, but it’s a side. My hungry self would like to dig into a burger that is so substantial it requires a two hand hold.
The number one thing I like about this burger? Vegetarians like it, vegans like it, and meat eaters like it. Yes. I said it. And I have the meat eating friends to prove it. Basically if you are a human, this burger is for you.
When I think veggie burgers, I think Oh, the things we buy at the store, because making a veggie burger FROM SCRATCH seemed like a biggggg deal. I mean? How do we even do that? Where do we start? What is a veggie burger?
But don’t let your minds go there. It is easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Basically, the steps are:
- Gather your ingredients. Okay, I admit there are a lot, but FLAVOR! It is necessary.
- Throw the ingredients in a food processor. See, I told you this was easy.
- And then, form the mixture into patties, and bake.
- Take a victory lap around the kitchen because YOU just made your very own veggie burgers.
Then comes the fun part, add allllllllllllllll the toppings your heart desires, because this big, bad burger is strong enough that it won’t crumble, break, or turn to mush.
For my toppings, I went California aka guacamole, trendy little sprouts, and a corn and red onion salsa. The guacamole balances out the subtle spice of the burger and gives that fatty (in a good way!) flavor bomb. The corn and onion salsa is like sweet bites of corn heaven. It adds texture and Flavor with a capital F. And the sprouts, perfect little bites of fresh crunch that you can pat yourself on the back for eating because HEALTH.
But of course, add whatever toppings you are currently feeling. Eat this burger on a salad, throw on some pickles, squeeze on some mustard. Do your thang. My burger is your burger.
- For the burgers:
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (optional)*
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 chilies in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey (agave for vegans)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon cumins
- 1 cup gluten-free quick oats
- ½ cup finely grated carrots
- 1 white onion, diced
- ¼ cup flaxseed + ¼ cup water
- ½ cup corn
- ¼ cup sliced scallion greens
For the guacamole:
- 2 medium avocados, mashed
- 1-2 scallions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt to taste
For the corn salsa:
- 1 cup fresh corn
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- Gluten-free buns